Railway Viaduct, Penkridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:This postcard view shows the Seven Arches viaduct looking west from the A449 Wolverhampton Road at the old Junction with Levedale Road near Penkridge. In later years this junction was changed. On the left there is a glimpse of the River Penk between the trees as it flows under one of the viaduct arches. Also on the left by the gas light the road sign points towards Coppenhall and Haughton.

The Seven Arches viaduct over the River Penk, near Penkridge, was built by the Grand Junction Railway and opened in 1837. In later years the line became known as the Birmingham branch of the West Coast Main Line, with north to Stafford and south to Wolverhampton. The viaduct cost £6,000 and the contractor was Thomas Brassey. Each of the seven arches has a 30 foot span and is 37 feet high.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-486aa (232/43754)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.