Demolition of the GE (General Electric) Main Works, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:19th of November 2020

Description:This view looks south-east towards Queensville and shows demolition work in progress at the former GE (General Electric) Main Works site on Lichfield Road, Stafford. At the time this picture was taken the majority of the factory, offices and the engineering research buildings on this large site have already been demolished and reduced to rubble.

In this scene and on the left can be seen the remaining part of the Turbine Generators factory and in the centre the red brick Switchgear offices tower building. Heavy duty high-reach demolition equipment and excavators are moving some of the rubble and steelwork. One of the factory Bays has been ripped open and there are yellow painted steel overhead crane rails (or runways) with the steel support columns waiting to be pulled down, although most have already been cut through and are lying on the ground. Several of the contractor’s cars and vans are parked on ground previously occupied by the factory. The site is being cleared to make way for a housing development.

On a neighbouring site the Transformer Works remains and is still operational (February 2021) as part of the GE (General Electric) group.

Additional information on the Lichfield Road site: The Stafford Works was renowned for its electrical equipment products including generators, transformers and switchgear. Siemens Brothers purchased land by the Lichfield Road in 1901 and built a factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become The English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co. merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 this in turn became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Drawing Office, Siemen's Brothers Engineering Works, Stafford,
Drawing Office, Siemen's Brothers Engineering Works, Stafford,

Around the turn of the 20th Century, following their move from Woolwich to Stafford, ...

English Electric Co., Stafford
English Electric Co., Stafford

Pictured is the Telephone Exchange on the Lichfield Road site (known as Main Works), ...

The Main Offices, Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford
The Main Offices, Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

During the ownership of Siemens, English Electric Co., GEC and Alstom this building ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:BM-416 (192/43683)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.