Railway Viaduct, Penkridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1904 - 1914 (c.)

Description:This postcard view shows ‘The Seven Arches’ viaduct over the River Penk, near Penkridge. It was built by the Grand Junction Railway and opened in 1837. In later years the line became known as the Birmingham branch of the West Coast Main Line, with north heading to Stafford and south to Wolverhampton. The viaduct cost £6,000 and the contractor was Thomas Brassey. Each of the seven arches has a 30 foot span and is 37 feet high. On the right the tower of St. Michael and All Angels' Church which dates from the 13th century is visible over the trees.

This postcard was published by the ‘Wrench Series’ and it was printed in Berlin, Germany.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge

This postcard view shows a locomotive and rolling stock on the Seven Arches viaduct ...

1910s
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge

This postcard view of ‘The Seven Arches’ viaduct over the River Penk, near Penkridge, ...

1950s
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge
Railway Viaduct, Penkridge

This postcard view shows the Seven Arches viaduct looking south from Levedale Road ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-449aa (232/43385)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.