Powell’s Tea Rooms and Garden, Market Place, Brewood

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:On the left is Powell’s Tea Rooms (with the roller sun blind) which were located on the first floor and also in the garden of a building known as 'The Dreadnought' in Market Place, Brewood. On the right of the entrance is an archway leading to the Tea Garden.

'The Dreadnought' building dates from around 1908 and over the years it has been occupied by several different businesses, including a newsagent and confectionary shop run for many years by Mr Bill Evans. It then became a hardware shop with a small café and later a photographic studio. Powell’s Tea Rooms had previously been located nearby in Bargate Street.

The spire of St Mary and St Chad’s Church is visible over the buildings and on the right can be seen the sign of the Swan Hotel, which was originally a house of probably 15th century origin. It was remodelled in the 19th century and is grade II listed. All of these buildings remain (November 2020) although many of their ground floors have changed use on several occasions.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Bill Caffrey, Archivist, Brewood Civic Society

Donor ref:Bill Caffrey-02-39 Powell's Tea Room-Dreadnought (55/43303)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.