Blithfield Reservoir

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1955 - 1965 (c.)

Description:This postcard view shows the causeway carrying the B5013 across Blithfield Reservoir.

Blithfield is the largest reservoir in Staffordshire, being 2 miles (3.2km) long, covering an area of 790 acres (320 hectares) with a maximum depth of 47 feet (14.3 metres). The reservoir which took around six years to complete was built by the South Staffordshire Water Works Company by constructing a dam across the nearby River Blithe. It was officially opened on 27 of October 1953 by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.

This postcard was published by Francis Frith & Co., Ltd. Reigate

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-402aa (232/43162)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.