Yarnfield Isolation Hospital, near Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1915 (c.)

Description:This multi-view postcard of Yarnfield Hospital shows scenes of the Diphtheria Ward in the top view, the Administration block in the centre and the Isolation and Scarlet Fever Ward in the lower image.

In 1904 Stone Joint Hospital Board (SJCB) were considering setting up an Isolation Hospital in Moss Lane, Yarnfield. The foundation stone was laid in 1908 and the Hospital opened in 1910. The Hospital was initially known as the Stone Isolation Hospital and under the control of SJCB. The Hospital was to provide for infectious patients from within the area covered by Stone Rural District Council and Stone Urban District Council for diseases such as Diphtheria and Scarlet Fever.

By 1914 there was agreement with Stafford Joint Committee to make arrangements for a block to be set aside for 14 patients suffering from Tuberculosis (TB). In November 1914 Miss Currie (from Bournemouth) was appointed Matron and paid £50.00 per year. By 1924 the SJHB was again looking to increase accommodation for another 24 beds for women who were all advanced cases. At this time the Hospital Matron was Miss Smallwood who replaced the previous Matron, Miss Ruddy. The Hospital Chaplain was the Rev. J B Firth. By 1926 outdoor huts had been erected for 32 TB patients in an area which had originally been a Scarlet Fever ward. In July 1927 the Matron was Miss Noble. By August 1936 the Hospital buildings were in need of modernisation and around this time it was reported that the death rate was high amongst serious TB cases. There was also a lack of nurses. In the post-war era Yarnfield Hospital was managed by the Stafford Hospital Management Committee and during April 1984 the Hospital closed. In later years the buildings were converted to private residences.

Over the years many patients suffering from Tuberculosis (TB) were sent to Yarnfield Hospital. TB is a disease caused by bacteria which usually attack the lungs, but they can also damage other parts of the body. The advanced form known as Pulmonary TB was historically known as Consumption.

There was also a Smallpox Hospital the ‘Tin Hospital’ on a separate site on Yarnfield Lane. This was erected around 1893 and had new sanitation equipment installed in 1899. The ‘Tin Hospital’ was still in use for Smallpox cases until 1950. In later years the building was demolished and replaced by a sports ground currently known (June 2020) as Wellbeing Park (formerly Springbank Park) the home of Stone Dominoes Football Club.

This postcard was published by A W Tilley, Photographer, Stone. It was printed in Saxony

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A_Lloyd-301aa (232/42358)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.