Aerial view of Hixon Airfield Industrial Estate

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1977

Description:View from the west looking over Hixon Airfield Industrial Estate towards Hixon village. On the right edge of the image is New Road. One of the runways can be seen in the foreground.

Hixon Airfield Industrial Estate is built on part of a Second World War airbase. The airbase opened in May 1942 for RAF Bomber Command. The Airfield had three concrete runways which were strong enough to take the weight of Wellingtons and Bristol Blenheims. Two of the runways still exist and are on occasion used by the Police for driver training.

At the time of this photograph the runway and other areas were used regularly by the Test Department of Michelin Tyre plc, Stoke on Trent. The differing colours of surface at the end of the runway were in fact very carefully specified road surface textures for tyre braking performance testing. Further, the circular area at the end of the runway was a 'steering pad' for tyre testing during continuous cornering, once again very carefully specified and laid down. The yellow 'boom' arrangement is a water spray system to provide for testing in wet conditions. Both the braking test areas and the steering pad were deluged from an engine driven pump system housed in a small building adjacent to the steering pad.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr David Welch

Donor ref:img881 (55/42225)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.