Alleyne's Grammar School, Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:A postcard view of Alleyne's Grammar School, Stone. Alleyne's Grammar School was founded in 1558 by Rev. Thomas Alleyne. The Masters and Fellows of Trinity College Cambridge were made trustees. The first school building was located near to St. Michael's Church and was used until 1843. At this time there were 38 pupils, including borders.

A new school building, Cambridge House, was erected on Station Road, with an endowment of £15 per annum. In 1889 the school moved again, to new premises at Oulton Cross built on land given by Lady Forester of Meaford Hall. The school was officially opened by Lord Granville on 17 June 1889. A new block was added in 1908.

In 1924 Staffordshire Education Committee became responsible for the school's maintenance. Girls were first admitted in September 1944. The school became Alleyne's Academy in 2013.

This postcard was franked in Stone on 29 December 1909 and sent to an address in Willenhall.

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A Lloyd-267a (232/41003)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.