Stone Bridge, Brewood

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1904

Description:A postcard view of a quiet scene by the Stone Bridge and River Penk, near Brewood. The spire of St. Mary and St. Chad's Church can be seen in the background.

Stone Bridge, or Somerford Bridge, is the largest bridge in the parish of Brewood. The bridge was rebuilt in 1796, and it is that bridge that remains today (April 2020).

This postcard was photographed by Bennett Clark, photographer of Wolverhampton and published by J Wakefield of Brewood. It was franked on 24 July 1904 in Bilston and sent to an address on the Isle of White.

Bennett Clark was one of Wolverhampton's best known local photographers. His studio was at 74 Darlington Street and was operated by himself and continued under his name, by W. E. Hart, was active for more than 60 years, from the end of the nineteenth century to the 1960s.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A Lloyd-232a (232/40935)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.