Alleyne's Grammar School, Dove Bank, Uttoxeter

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1915 - 1920 (c.)

Description:A postcard view of Uttoxeter Grammar School which was founded in 1558 in the will of Thomas Alleyne, a school teacher. The school was originally a Grammar School for boys and was on Bridge Street. Having outgrown the original premises the school moved to Derby Road in 1859.

The school was merged with the Girl's High School in 1964 and became a Comprehensive in 1974.

The Headmasters House can be seen here on the right with Trinity Hall and the science laboratory on the left. The house dates back to before 1846, while the other buildings were built pre 1859.

This postcard picture was taken by Alfred McCann who was a member of the McCann family of photographers from Uttoxeter.

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A Lloyd-180a (232/40704)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.