Burton Museum, Burton-upon-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1975 (c.)

Description:In 1915 Burton corporation opened a municipal museum and art gallery in a building designed by Henry Beck of Burton on the site of the former police station at the corner of Station Street and Guild Street. The museum displays included a collection of artefacts belonging to the Burton-upon-Trent Natural History and Archaeological Society. In 1921 an extensive private collection of zoological specimens was purchased from the estate of the society's president, Philip Mason of Trent House, Bridge Street. In 1923 the corporation was given the natural history collection at Rolleston Hall, and in 1928 it opened an extension to house them. When the museum and art gallery was closed in 1981 some collection items were transferred to the Bass Museum, others to Derby Museum & Art Gallery and the Staffordshire County Museum at Shugborough.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:BurtonLib_065 (187/40497)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.