Aerial view of Perton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1976

Description:An aerial view of Perton, looking north west along Parkway. House building is well underway and the houses built by Gallifords around Marston Drive and those built by Midland and General in Mercia Drive can be seen.

Perton Airfield was constructed in 1940 as a Royal Air Force Relief Landing Ground. Later during the Second World War the Princess Irene Brigade of the Dutch Army trained here. In 1947 RAF Perton was given to the Agricultural Land Commission with the Dutch camp becoming a refuge camp for Poles, Latvians and Lithuanians until 1950 when it was converted to housing and occupied until 1962. From 1972 a huge new housing estate was built on the airfield site, now with a population of around 12,000.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Perton_007 (234/40304)

Source: Mrs Margaret Philpott

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.