Coal miners at Mid Cannock Colliery

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1887 - 1888 (c.)

Description:This group of nine coal miners at waiting at the pit head for the 'kibble (bucket) to take them underground. To the side are two notices giving instructions on the use of the underground apparatus. The top notice reads, " No more than four men to ascend or descend at any time . By Order."

Mid Cannock Colliery was sunk in 1876, but was closed in 1884 due to lack of trade. The shafts were allowed to fill with water for 29 years until Wm. Harrison Ltd. purchased the site in 1913 and de-watered them. Coal production again started in 1914/15 and continued until the colliery closed in 1967. The upcast shaft was kept open to pump out water so that Littleton Colliery was not threatened by flooding. Mid Cannock Colliery employed around 1300 men. In 1953 and then in 1954, the colliery was connected underground, to first, Wyrley No. 3 Colliery and then Leacroft Colliery, enabling Mid Cannock to have access to the other collieries' coal reserves and so do away with the surface installlations.

The alternate view is a digitally colourised version of the image.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:93.0022.00002 (21/3994)

Source: Museum of Cannock Chase

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.