Stafford Street, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:A postcard view looking north along Stafford Street (A519), Eccleshall. Centre right is the King's Arms which was originally named The Unicorn. Its neo-Elizabethan timber framed facade covers the original Elizabethan structure.

The King's Arms, like the Royal Oak on High Street, was a coaching inn on the London to Chester road. With the advent of the railways, like other coaching inns, the King's Arms went into decline. By 1841 the inn was used as a collection point for excise duties, and was later the official Inland Revenue Office, until 1900 when separate premises were opened.

The next house was a barber's shop which later became Burgess', iron mongers.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A Lloyd-074a (232/39883)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.