Wounded soldiers at the Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Brindley Village

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1917 - 1922 (c.)

Description:The hospital was formerly called the Military Hospital. Among those pictured the only person to be identified is Sister Jessie Price who is seated at the front.

The hospital was built for World War I as a Military Hospital, but continued to be used until the late 1920s. After this time the buildings had been acquired by the colliery to house miners and their families and they paid rent., and so the site became known as 'Brindley Village'. The 'village' had its own school and working men's club and survived until the early 1950s, when the inhabitants were moved to a new council-built housing estate on the outskirts of Hednesford.

Jessie was born at Lichfield Lodges, Shugborough on 15 July 1876. Her father Joseph was a Waggoner on the estate. She trained as a nurse in Lancashire and was working as a Probation Nurse at Salford Union Infirmary at the time of the 1901 census. By 1911 she was Workhouse Nurse Superintendent at Bedford Union Workhouse. Soon after she moved to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield, where she worked during the early part of the First World War. Soon afterwards she worked at the Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Brindley Heath on Cannock Chase. After she retired, she continued to live in one of the Lichfield Lodges until her death on 23 December 1963.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:93.0008.00001 (21/3982)

Source: Museum of Cannock Chase

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.