All Saints' Church, Milwich

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1907

Description:A postcard view of All Saints' Church, Milwich. The first record of a church on this site is dated around 1140. The tower of the present building dates from the late fifteenth century, although the remainder of the church was rebuilt in the 1790s after the south walls and roof collapsed. The bricks for the new building were made at Milwich Heath.

The interior was altered in 1906 when the three decker pulpit and box pews were removed. The mosaic floor in the chancel dates from this period. Electric lights were installed in 1938.

The font dates from the thirteenth century; part of its decoration has been chipped off, probably during the Reformation. All Saints' also possesses the oldest dated bell in Staffordshire, and the seventh oldest bell in the country. It was cast in 1409 by John of Colsale and is one of only two bells to be inscribed with both the date and founder's name. The remaining bells are dated 1670 and 1735. All three bells were retuned and rehung in 1977.

In January 1982 the Methodist congregation of Garshall Green Chapel joined the church after the chapel closed. A portable font and pews from the chapel are now housed in All Saints'.

This postcard was franked on 9 May 1907 and sent to an address in Sandon.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: The Arthur Lloyd Collection

Donor ref:A Lloyd-042a (232/39744)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.