Aerial view of Duncan Hall, Yarnfield

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1945

Description:A view looking north over Duncan Hall, with Yarnfield Lane running left to right at the top of the image. The site is now occupied by housing at Ashdale Park and DeHavilland Drive.

Duncan Hall, Beatty Hall and Howard Hall (all named after Royal Navy Admirals) were built in 1938 for munitions workers relocated from Woolwich Arsenal to work at the Royal Ordnance factory at Swynnerton. However, they were not occupied by munitions workers, and instead were occupied by the United States Air Force during the Second World War.

After the War, the General Post Office Engineering Department Central Training School opened in Yarnfield in 1946. It occupied buildings at Howard Hall, Duncan Hall and Beatty Hall. In 1984 G.P.O. Telephones became British Telecom.

This image is from the 'Yarnfield Yank', a booklet published in 1945 to commemorate the presence of US Army personnel at transit camps in Yarnfield, near Stone during World War II.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(75/39620)

Source: Mr Sean Farrelly

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.