Burgess, agricultural engineers, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1980 - 1990 (c.)

Description:A name plate from an agricultural implement or machine supplied by Burgess Agricultural Engineers Ltd. from their showroom in Eccleshall.

Frederick H. Burgess founded his ironmongers and agricultural implement business in Eccleshall in 1900. The business was a success and by 1912 the headquarters had moved to Stafford, with branches in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Wolverhampton and Newport, as well as in Eccleshall. In 1934 F.H. Burgess died and the company was taken over by his sons H.F. and W.D. Burgess. The following year saw a new branch open in Lichfield and amalgamation with its chief competitor: Woodings, who were dealers for Massey-Harris. Further acquisitions followed and by 1942 Frederick H. Burgess Ltd was the biggest agricultural machinery dealer in the West Midlands and north west, with branches in Ormskirk, Northwich, Liverpool, Warrington, St. Helens, Worcester, Hereford, Leominster, Bromyard and Tenbury. By this time it employed 1,180 staff and a had a fleet of 350 service vehicles.

In 2003 the Eccleshall store closed and moved to Ladfordfields Industrial Estate at Great Bridgeford. In 2008 Burgess Agricultural Engineers Ltd went into administration, and the final seven branches closed: these were in Shrewsbury, Chester, Nantwich, Llangefni, Denbigh, Leek and Barton-under-Needwood.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(194/39422)

Source: Mr Pat Trevor

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.