Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:2000

Description:Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health problems caused by waste from Burton's brewing industry entering the River Trent. There are four beam engines built by Gimson of Leicester in 1885. The beam engines continued in use until 1971 when they were superceded by electric pumps.

The site is now open to the public, with regular steamings. The site has been cared for and restored by Claymills Pumping Engines Trust since 1993.

This Image is from a collection of photographs of Burton upon Trent commissioned and assembled by Burton upon Trent Civic Society as a record of the town in the year 2000.

Text and photograph © Burton upon Trent Civic Society

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Ian Bennett and Ian Eccleshall of Messrs. Bennett, Lovatt & Associates (Photography) - Creator

Image courtesy of: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Donor ref:BURTON_2000_038 (230/39064)

Source: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.