Abbey Inn, Burton-upon-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:2000

Description:At the rear of the Abbey Inn, which incorporates part of the infirmary of the Abbey founded in 1002. The Benedictine Abbey of Burton was founded before the year 1000 by Wulfric Spot, Anglo-Saxon Earl of Mercia. He probably chose this site as the shrine of St. Modwen was already here. The Abbey was dissolved on 14 November 1539. Shortly afterwards, in 1541, the Abbey Church was re-established by the King as a college of canons, but was also dissolved in 1545. The Abbey Church continued to be used as the parish church until it was demolished 1719-1726. It was replaced by the present church of St. Modwen, built between 1719 and 1728. Today, some scant remains of the Abbey buildings are contained within the Abbey Inn and the Manor House.

This Image is from a collection of photographs of Burton upon Trent commissioned and assembled by Burton upon Trent Civic Society as a record of the town in the year 2000.

Text and photograph © Burton upon Trent Civic Society

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Ian Bennett and Ian Eccleshall of Messrs. Bennett, Lovatt & Associates (Photography) - Creator

Image courtesy of: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Donor ref:BURTON_2000_040 (230/39062)

Source: Burton upon Trent Civic Society

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.