Hanley Greyhound Stadium entrance, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:September 1963

Description:The entrance to Hanley Greyhound Stadium at the bottom of Robson Street. To the right is the Robson Street Ropery, operated by A T Robson and making cord, twine, ropes and varieties of packaging. In the far distance is a gasholder at Etruria gas works.

Hanley Greyhound Stadium dates form 1928, one of the earliest oval greyhound racing tracks in the UK, built on the site of an abandoned marl pit. There was another entrance on Sun Street (indeed it was also known as the Sun Street Stadium) and speedway was an important event here. The track closed in 1963 and the site is now part of a business park.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/181-24 (204/38725)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.