The Old Chancel, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1960 (c.)

Description:A postcard view of part of the interior of the former St Augustine’s Church, in later years known as The Old Chancel.

On the left under the window is a memorial for Thomas Launder, died 1670; it is a large tablet and at the foot is his corpse in a winding sheet, as if it were in a hammock.

St Augustine’s became the parish church in the late 12th century with only a nave and a chancel. In the 13th century a lady chapel was added and a tower in the 14th century. In the 19th century the church was considered too small for Rugeley’s growing population and the building was in a poor state of repair. A new St Augustine’s church was built on land opposite and dedicated in January 1823 and then the old building was partly demolished.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Dorothy Roberts - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-DR-73 (192/38718)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.