Lea Hall Colliery First Aid team

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1981

Description:Members of the First Aid team 1980-1 each holding a silver cup. Second on the left is Steve Perrin, Middle: Richard Instone, Right: Richard Barber.

Lea Hall was the first colliery planned and sunk by the National Coal Board. The two shafts were started in 1954 and sunk to a depth of 1300ft (396m). The first coal was produced in 1960, and the colliery's costs to this date were approximately £14,000,000. The shafts passed through 11 seams of Cannock Chase coal with a total thickness of 51ft (15.5m). It produced in excess of 1,000,000 tons per year on several occasions. It employed over 200 men but was closed on economical grounds in 1990.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:92.0008.00034 (21/3864)

Source: Museum of Cannock Chase

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.