Town Hall and Market Hall, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:A postcard view taken in Anson Street, Rugeley, with the Town Hall and Market Hall on the left, the Police Station in the centre and on the right is a Hillman Minx car by a petrol pump arm outside Degg's garage. The car third from the left is an Austin and second from the right is a Series E Morris 8.

The Town Hall and the Market Hall were built in 1878-79 on the site of the Shoulder of Mutton Inn. The architect was W. Tadman Foulkes. The Market Hall's foundation stone was laid on 26 June 1878 by Lord Lichfield. The town Hall and Market Hall were demolished in 1978 and now only the clock tower remains (January 2019).


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
The Shrewsbury Arms Hotel, Rugeley
The Shrewsbury Arms Hotel, Rugeley

A postcard view of the Shrewsbury Arms Hotel on Market Place, formerly The Talbot, ...

1920s
Lower Brook Street, Rugeley
Lower Brook Street, Rugeley

This postcard view was published by Wood's Series, Rugeley.

1950s
Market Square, Rugeley
Market Square, Rugeley

A postcard view of Market Square, Rugeley. In this view are, from left to right: ...

1970s
Market Square, Rugeley
Market Square, Rugeley

A busy scene in Market Square looking south towards Lower Brook Street in Rugeley. ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Dorothy Roberts - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-DR-44 (192/38492)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.