Joliffe Almshouses, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1909

Description:Mr Joliffe was the wealthiest man in the area, coming from a family of Lords of the Manor. He had a house built for him in Market Place in 1626, which was known as Leek Hall or Siche Hall. It later became The Red Lion, a coaching inn. Mr Joliffe had these almshouses built to house the poor and homeless of the town.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr T.T. Blaylock - Creator

Donor ref:1994.84 (20/3840)

Source: Leek Museum:Staffordshire Moorlands District Council

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.