St. Thomas Mill, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1901 - 1905 (c.)

Description:St. Thomas' Mill was built on the site of a medieval priory which was dedicated to St. Thomas Becket. The priory was broken up during the Dissolution.

In 1765 the property passed to the ancestors of the Earl of Talbot and formed part of the Shrewsbury Estate. The buildings were used for several years by cotton spinners, followed by a corn-milling business. The mill was powered by a water-wheel.

Today the site is occupied by a farm and a small housing development. Existing fragments of the old priory include sections of walling, the lower courses of the cloisters, part of the kitchen and the site of the burial ground. The old stonework was so well constructed it was incorporated into the farm buildings, thereby preserving the remains of the priory.

Postcard published by Valentine & Sons Ltd., Dundee and London.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:06_177r (226/37861)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.