Saxon Cross, St. Edward's churchyard, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1880 - 1900 (c.)

Description:The original church was built in the eleventh century, but the Roman numerals on the cross (1180) date it to almost a century later. It is a long, round, cross-shaft, with a horizontal band of interlace above. The upper section is cut into four faces, decorated with scrolls, interlace and fretwork.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1850s
Leek Parish Church and Vicarage
Leek Parish Church and Vicarage

1880s
View along Church Street, Leek
View along Church Street, Leek

The main building in the picture is the crown Hotel (later the Conservative Club). ...

1900s
St. Edwards' Church, Leek
St. Edwards' Church, Leek

View of the congregation leaving St. Edward's Church after a service.

1930s
St. Edward's Parish Church, Church Street, Leek
St. Edward's Parish Church, Church Street, Leek

Interior view of the church, looking past the pews towards the pulpit, altar and ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr William R. Kean - Creator

Donor ref:1994.92 (20/3783)

Source: Leek Museum:Staffordshire Moorlands District Council

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.