Victoria Park, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1920 - 1930 (c.)

Description:A view of Victoria Park looking from the site of the Mill towards the bandstand and the aviary. The land between Izaak Walton Walk and the railway station were marshy and liable to flooding. In 1903 the Corporation bought the land and raised its level by three feet. The area was laid out as Victoria Park, opening on 15 June 1908.

To celebrate the coronation of George V in 1911, the park was extended across the River Sow towards Tenterbanks. A bowling green was added and the two parts were linked by Coronation Bridge.

A further extension, with tennis courts, a playground and a paddling pool for children opened in 1930.

Postcard published by Valentine & Sons Ltd., Dundee and London.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:04_081r (225/37642)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.