Izaak Walton Walk, Victoria Park, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1903 - 1905 (c.)

Description:The development of Izaak Walton Walk in the 1880s was part of Stafford Corporation's river improvement scheme. Seats and railings were installed. Later, around 1900, trees were added to improve the appearance of what was a marshy area prone to flooding.

In 1903 the Corporation bought the land and raised its level by three feet. The area was laid out as Victoria Park and the bandstand was moved to the park from Market Square. The park opened on 15 June 1908.

In the background, to the left can be seen the Station Hotel. On the right is Victoria Bridge.

A 'Wyndham' Series postcard, postmarked 31 July 1905.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:04_059r (225/37620)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.