Coronation Bridge, Victoria Park, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1911

Description:The land between Izaak Walton Walk and the railway station was marshy and liable to flooding. In 1903 the Corporation bought the land and raised its level by three feet. The area was laid out as Victoria Park, opening on 15 June 1908. To celebrate the coronation of George V in 1911, the park was extended across the River Sow towards Tenterbanks. A bowling green was added and the two parts were linked by Coronation Bridge. A further extension, with tennis courts, a playground and a paddling pool for children opened in 1930.


Postcard published by A.M. Kinton, tobacconist and stationer, St. Mary's Gate, Stafford.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
The Weir, Stafford
The Weir, Stafford

Looking across to the Station Hotel. Victoria Park has yet to be developed. The ...

1920s
Victoria Park, Stafford
Victoria Park, Stafford

A view of Victoria Park looking from the site of the Mill towards the bandstand ...

1950s
Victoria Park, Stafford
Victoria Park, Stafford

A view of the 1911 extension to Victoria Park, looking towards the bowling green. ...

1970s
Victoria Park, Stafford
Victoria Park, Stafford

By the bowling green in Victoria Park with Coronation Bridge beyond. The land ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:04_054r (225/37615)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.