Market Square, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1905 (c.)

Description:There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings. The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected between 1795 - 98, is the third of its kind on approximately the same site. Building began behind the old Shire Hall so that once the old building was demolished the new one would face onto a large square. The Shire Hall was vacated by the Crown Court in 1991 and the hall was restored for use as an art gallery. The rear of the building is now the public library between 1999 and 2015.

In the foreground is the Jubilee Fountain, erected in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It was demolished in 1934.

Postcard published by Valentine & Sons Ltd., Dundee and London.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:03_075r (224/37503)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.