Market Square, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1905 (c.)

Description:A colour-tinted postcard view of Market Square taken from the end of Gaolgate Street. The Shire Hall, built in 1795-1798 by John Harvey dominates the square. On the immediate left can be seen the spectacles sign on Mummery's jewellers and opticians shop, since demolished and the site now (2018) occupied by Santander Bank. To the right is the Jubilee Fountain, erected in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It was demolished in 1934.

Postcard published by William Shaw of Burslem.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:03_064r (224/37492)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.