Greengate Street, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930 - 1940 (c.)

Description:Looking down Greeengate Street from the Market Square. On the right is the Ancient High House built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. On the right is Brookfield's tailors. In 1826 the High House was bought by John Marson, who converted the lower floor into shops. His son, William Albert, eventually took over his father's grocery business. In 1885 he added new shop fronts, establishing himself as a high class family grocer and Italian warehouseman. The building is now owned by the Borough Council and opened to the public as a heritage and exhibition centre in 1987.

On the left is the Bear Inn.

Postcard published by J. Salmon Ltd., Sevenoaks, Kent.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:03_047r (224/37475)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.