Ancient High House, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1914 (c.)

Description:A view of St. Mary's Passage, Stafford looking towards Greengate Street with the timber-framed Ancient High House prominent.

William Albert Marson owned a high class family grocer's shop, established in the High House on Greengate Street. Marson was also a lay reader and held sermons in several churches within the Stafford area, including St. Matthew's at Derrington, St. John's in Littleworth and Brocton Mission Hall. In 1890 Marson opened his 'Old Curiosity Shop' on Albion Place, selling furniture, china and fancy goods. The shop later moved to premises behind the High House on St. Mary's Passage, pictured here.

Postcard published by Boots Cash Chemists. Postmarked 12 May 1914.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1930s
Greengate Street, Stafford
Greengate Street, Stafford

Looking down Greeengate Street from the Market Square. On the right is the Ancient ...

1950s
Shaw's House and Ancient High House, Stafford
Shaw's House and Ancient High House, Stafford

View from outside St. Chad's Church, looking north. On the left is Shaw's House ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:03_026r (224/37454)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.