Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1917 - 1918 (c.)

Description:The caption For this photograph was "Farewell to Matron" and she is beaming as she is waved off by staff and patients along the main driveway in front of the wards. Above the windscreen can be seen one of the two towers that held water tanks for the main building. She was obviously well respected and thought of to be given a guard of honour.

The Nurses and Sisters had their own accommodation at the far end of the hospital site in between the main buildings and the Isolation Hospital. The Royal Army Medical Corps were at the opposite end of the site behind the Officers' Quarters. Due to the number of hospitals home and abroad additional help was provided by the Red Cross, the Order of St John and other voluntary groups. Voluntary Aid Detachments were formed to meet the demand for care workers and tens of thousands answered the call.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:12_126r (222/37331)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.