Henry Venables Ltd lorry at the Stafford Pageant,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Henry Venables Ltd lorry driving along South Walls whilst taking part in the Stafford Pageant parade.

Henry Venables was born in Stafford in 1827 and started his business as a carpenter and builder in about 1855. By 1860 he had set up a timber business on Foregate Street, specialising in producing packing cases for shoe exports.

Soon after, he took out a lease on land at Doxey, and Rose Cottages were built which were the company offices until 1974 when new offices were erected. Later in the 19th century his four sons joined him in the business.

The company's reputation for high quality dry oak and Briitish hardwoods developed during the 1930s. A special joinery department made one-off commissions. After 1945 the company developed its technical advice service for architects and contractors. In the 1980s and 1990s Henry Venables Ltd had a number of major contracts, including the restoration of York Minster, the building of the Lantern Lobby at Windsor Castle, the Globe Theatre in London and the Swan Theatre in Stratford-on-Avon.

In 1999 the company was bought out by Henry Venables Products Ltd, with Tim Venables, a great great grandson, as Managing Director. In January 2000 the business moved to a new site on the Tollgate industrial estate.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Bridge Street, Stafford
Bridge Street, Stafford

View from Green Bridge towards Chetwynd House. Mr Jenkinson, a baker and confectioner, ...

Royal Brine Baths, Stafford
Royal Brine Baths, Stafford

In the 1880s a thick bed of salt was discovered on Stafford Common, during the search ...

'Yeti' Costume, Stafford Pageant,
'Yeti' Costume, Stafford Pageant,

Yeti costume with Lotus Shoes collecting tin photographed on Greengate Street. ...

Chetwynd House, Stafford,
Chetwynd House, Stafford,

Chetwynd House was built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount Chetwynd ...

Mercer's Saddlers Shop, Stafford,
Mercer's Saddlers Shop, Stafford,

Mercer's shop on the corner of Bridge Street and Mill Bank, established in 1910. In ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Bruus, C. Mrs

Donor ref:C. Bruus No., PT00598, img: 3413 (18/3716)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.