Audley's Cross, Blore Heath

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1905 (c.)

Description:Dating from the Wars of the Roses, this medieval stone cross was erected in memory of Lord Audley the Lancastrian leader, killed at the Battle of Blore Heath in 1459. It was repaired in 1765 and provided with a plinth by the Lord of the Manor, Charles Boothby Skrymsher. It was renovated by Tyrley Parish Council in 1959.

The inscription reads: "On this Spot Was fought the Battle of Blore Heath in 1459. Lord Audley who commanded for the side of Lancaster Was defeated and slain. To perpetuate the memory of the Action & the Place This ancient monument was repaired in 1765."

Photograph by R.G. Arnold of Market Drayton.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:11_154r (220/37037)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.