The Mill, Penkridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1905 (c.)

Description:There has been a mill on this site, east of Bull Bridge on the River Penk, by 1754. Built on in the late 18th century, the present building mill operated as a water-powered iron rolling mill between at least 1827 and 1832, but by 1834 was operating as a corn mill. The wheel was removed in 1939 and the mill pool (in the foreground) filled in soon after. Electrical equipment replaced the older water-powered machinery. In 2008 the Roller Mill was restored and opened as a day opportunities centre by Age UK Staffordshire.

This postcard is postmarked 7 March 1905.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:11_030r (220/36913)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.