Bus Station and Mining College, Cannock

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:The original Mining College was founded 1891. The 1920s building which replaced it was enlarged and opened in October 1929 by Viscount Chelmsford. It cost about £25,000 of which £18,000 was a grant from the Mining Welfare Committee. The cost of the equipment was borne by the County. Other extentions, including the Hall and various other facilities, were added in the following years. This new college brought together the earlier attempts at mining education which started in a small way at number of locations such as Hednesford and Chase Terrace. Although called the Mining College engineering and many other courses were taught there.

The new Central Bus Station was inaugurated on 2nd July 1962 replacing previous town centre bus stops, with the exception of one in Walsall Road which was relocated to a nearby lay-by. Note the school children on their way home.

Postacrd published by F. Frith and Co. Ltd., Reigate.

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Donor ref:10_102r (219/36825)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.