The Green and Council House, Cannock

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960

Description:The house known as 'The Green' is thought to date from the 1730s. A ladies' boarding school in the early 1800s, it was purchased by Cannock Urban District Council in 1927 and was opened as The Council House in 1928. In the 1980s it was aquired by Cannock Chase Technical College.

The Bowling Green is mentioned by Staffordshire historian Stebbing Shaw as being "in the year 1753 ... encompassed by a hansom brick wall". The mid-1800s saw a great deal of wrangling between the bowlers and the Local Board (later to become Cannock Urban Council) over ownership of the green. In 1896 a Deed of Trust was signed by both parties to ensure the green remained a bowling green forever.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:10_101r (219/36824)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.