Brocton Camp, Cannock Chase

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1917 - 1918 (c.)

Description:The eastern slope of Old Acre Valley with the 30,000 gallon Water Tower to the right. The long roof line in the centre of the image at the back is the Ordnance Store. The layout of Brocton's main stores and ancillary buildings are totally different to Rugeley Camp: due to the undulating terrain it was spread across the ridge of the two valleys.

The Ordnance Store was both a supply and repair facility. In the supply area it had responsibility for weapons, armoured vehicles and other military equipment, ammunition and clothing and certain other minor functions. The railway cutting adjacent to the building allowed the easy loading and unloading of supplies.

The flattened area at the centre of the photograph was possibly an assembly and drill area with an unusual trench type construction in front of that for demonstration purposes. The unusual square block to the left is similar to a sketch seen in the PoW Camp archives and was used as a "Destructor" for burning off unwanted refuse. It is strange that the design is completely different to those on Rugeley Camp.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:13_085r (215/36520)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.