Demolition of Rugeley Town Hall and Market Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:20th of June 1978

Description:This photograph captures the demolition of Rugeley Town Hall and the Market Hall which were built on the site of the Shoulder of Mutton Inn. The Public Buildings also housed meeting rooms and, until 1908, incorporated the Police station and cells in the basement. They were built in 1878-79 and the architect was W. Tadman Foulkes. The clock tower only remains (July 2020).

The Market Hall's foundation stone was laid on 26 June 1878 by Lord Lichfield.

Acknowledgement: The Rugeley Times Newspaper.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Anson Street, Rugeley
Anson Street, Rugeley

A postcard view of the Post Office, Anson Street, Rugeley. This postcard was ...

1920s
Cenotaph and Anson Street, Rugeley
Cenotaph and Anson Street, Rugeley

This postcard view was published by Wood's Series, Rugeley. On the left is the ...

1950s
Market Square, Rugeley
Market Square, Rugeley

A postcard view of Market Square, Rugeley. In this view are, from left to right: ...

1970s
Market Square, Rugeley
Market Square, Rugeley

This view taken in Market Square looks north towards Market Street in Rugeley. In ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Dorothy Roberts - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-DR-204 (192/35828)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.