Bear Inn sign,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1975 (c.)

Description:The seventeenth century Bear Inn on Greengate Street was built on the site of the Old Black Bear Inn; it is possible some of the old building was used in the structure of the present.

In the eighteenth century the inn was known as the White Bear and was one of four coaching inns in Stafford, the other three being The Star and The George on Market Square, and The Swan (opposite The Bear). Only The Bear and The Swan survive to this day.

The inn's sign, a large carved wooden bear, is associated with the Beresford family; their crest featured a rampant black bear. The bear no longer stands on its hind legs as this made it vulnerable to strong winds.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1900s
St. Chad's Church, Stafford,
St. Chad's Church, Stafford,

St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. ...

1920s
Dale's Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,
Dale's Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,

This building at 11 Greengate Street was a typical Tudor house (c.1500), although ...

1940s
Averil's Entry, Stafford,
Averil's Entry, Stafford,

Averil's Entry, looking towards St. Mary's Grove. Averil's Entry runs between ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P2001.006.0007 (18/3558)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.