Canteen Ladies Retirement Presentation, Blythe Colours, Cresswell

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:10th of December 1975

Description:Retirement presentation for Mrs M Thomas (holding flowers) of the Canteen staff at Blythe Colour Works.

From left to right: Mrs M Bennison, Mrs E Harris, Mrs Lily Hollinshead, Mrs Mary Warrington, Mrs Freda Heath, Mrs J Taylor, Mrs LJ Edwards, Mrs M Thomas, Mrs BE Dutton, Mrs JL Till, Mrs JM Carnall, Mrs Betty Hannaby.

The manufacture of underglaze colours in Cresswell began in 1870, when a small works was set up by Pigott and Scarratt, pharmaceutical chemists. But it was not until it was taken over by Fred Wildblood in 1908 that the works expanded. He put his son Cecil in charge, invested in new technology and took full advantage of the adjacent railway. By 1914 Blythe Colour Works was one of the most advanced and successful of its kind in Europe. The company became public in 1936 and shortly afterwards, in 1938, a new office block was built. A new laboratory block followed in 1955 and a new pigment works block in 1957. The Works was acquired by Johnson Matthey in 1963 who owned it until its closure in 2015.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(212/35517)

Source: Mr Ian Procter

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.