Aerial View of Armitage Pottery Works

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910

Description:The first pottery on this site was established by Thomas Bond. he was declared bankrupt two years later and the pottery was purchased by John Tunnicliff. In about 1851 the business was taken aover by Salt & Swan who began the manufacture of sanitary ware. In 1867 the pottery was purchased by the Rev. Edward Johns. Under his management the company grew and continued to trade as Edward Johns & Co. after his death in 1893, and throughout much of the 20th century. 'Armitage Ware' became an internationally known brand. The company merged with Shanks in 1969 to form the Armitage-Shanks Group.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:Topog ARMITAGE 2D (201/35424)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.