Aerial view of Perton Airfield

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1942

Description:In this RAF aerial photograph the runways can clearly be seen. The hangers, control tower and airfield buildings are on the bottom left of this image. The Princess Irene Brigade training camp can be seen at the far left hand side bottom corner. North is to the left.

Perton Airfield was constructed in 1940 as a Royal Air Force Relief Landing Ground. Later during the Second World War the Princess Irene Brigade of the Dutch Army trained here. In 1947 RAF Perton was given to the Agricultural Land Commission with the Dutch camp becoming a refuge camp for Poles, Latvians and Lithuanians until 1950 when it was converted to housing and occupied until 1962. From 1972 a huge new housing estate was built on the airfield site, now with a population of around 12,000.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(209/33417)

Source: Mr Gurvinder Khosa

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.