English Electric Co., Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1945 (c.)

Description:English Electric staff and a Ministry of Supply employee are pictured during a visit to the Stafford Works. In the 1940s representatives from the Ministry of Supply were regular visitors to the factory. Left to right: Mr J W C Milligan, Manager, Stafford Works, unknown, unknown person from the Ministry of Supply, Mr C H (Charlie) Shardlow, Senior Shop Steward at the Stafford Works, unknown and extreme right is Mr Les Horton.

During World War II, the English Electric Co. Ltd placed its accumulated experience and engineering organisation at the disposal of the Government and manufactured equipment that would be vital to the defence programme. The Stafford factory was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear and throughout the war years continued to receive contracts for many of these items.

In 1939 the factory also became involved in the production of parts and final assembly of Armoured Vehicles (Tanks). At this time the site of the Tank Shop was unoccupied ground, however, the Ministry of Supply constructed the Works in just a few months and Tanks manufactured there included the Covenanter, Centaur, Comet and Cromwell tanks. Completed tanks were driven or taken to the testing ground created on Cannock Chase.

Additional Information: Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

Retirement of Mr C H Shardlow at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
Retirement of Mr C H Shardlow at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Left to right: Mr J R Sully, General Manager of Stafford and Kidsgrove Works is ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Chris Coates - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-CC-044 (37/33048)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.