Cat's Monument, Shugborough Park,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1975 (c.)

Description:The Cat's Monument, c.1750, is situated on the island. It was probably designed by Thomas Wright of Durham (1711-1786), who also worked on the Ruin.

There are two theories behind the purpose of the monument; one is that it commemorates a cat which travelled around the world with Admiral Anson on the 'Centurion'. The second is that it was built as a memorial to Kouli-Khan, a Persian cat kept by Thomas Anson. Anson also kept a herd of Corsican goats, which feature around the base of the monument.

The monument was possibly built against another structure, as the rear of the monument is of rough stonework. The tablet on the front was added c.1770 and is made of Coadestone, an artificial stone.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., PT00549, img: 2915 (18/3287)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.