Doric Temple, Shugborough Park,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970 - 1980 (c.)

Description:Built c.1760 this is one of two copies of the Temple of Hephaistos in Athens by James 'Athenian' Stuart. The first version was commissioned by Hagley Hall In Worcestershire in 1758, and is believed to be the first accurate revived Greek Doric Temple in Europe.

The temple was built as the portico leading to the walled garden, since demolished. The sculptures it contained were sold in 1842.

In the 1960s repairs were made to the roof, and the lower portions of the columns replaced with White Hollington stone.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., PT00547, img: 2913 (18/3285)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.