The Focus Cinema, Market Street, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1963

Description:A view north west along Market Street, formerly High Street, Longton. The Focus Cinema is in the centre of the photograph and to its left the premises of Hughes and Harber, printers and publishers. The Focus Cinema opened 1911 as Longton Cinema Theatre, became The Criterion by 1931, closed in 1962 and was demolished the following year. The site is now occupied by offices. Hughes and Harber were printers and publishers in Market Street. They were awarded the Royal warrant were called The Royal Press. The Royal Coat of Arms can be seen above the canopy on the building next to the cinema. As a company they published a wide range of books including trade directories, almanacs, handbooks for ceramic calculations, regimental and masonic histories, and eight volumes commemorating Josiah Wedgwood's bicentenary in 1930.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/233-17 (204/32815)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.